Saturday, June 6, 2015
Usina (Power Plants)
oil on canvas
82 x 106 cm
other detail unknown
Pio Collivadino (1869-1945), born in Buenos Aires, was an Argentine painter of the post-impressionist school. He studied drawing at the Italian Argentine cultural society, the Societa Nazionale de Buenos Aires, and in 1889, he traveled to Rome, where in 1891 he was accepted into the Accademia di San Luca, the National Academy of Fine Arts.
He returned to Argentina in 1896 and became known for his romanticist lithographs. His successes encouraged him to transition to Post-impressionism, a genre which had not yet found favor among Argentine art patrons. Honored with the Order of the Crown of Italy in 1905, he became an honorary member of the Accademia di Brera, in Milan. He remained sought-after in Argentina, and was named Director of the Academy of Fine Arts in 1908. He was named director of scenography at the renowned Colon Theatre and remained head of the Academy of Fine Arts and taught there until his retirement in 1935. He helped organize the Prilidiano Pueyrredon School of Fine Arts in 1939, and the Ernesto de la Carcova Museum, in 1941.
On the 4th of June in 1943, the revolution erupted and expelled him, a distinguished artist who had devoted his life to the School. The noted painter and teacher died in Buenos Aires, in 1945, at age 76.
Posted by merryhaha at 10:52